Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Coffee table lessons



This morning I woke up unaware that it would be a milestone day.  Cooking the kids breakfast, getting them dressed, kissing my husband goodbye as he left for work...all pretty standard to my everyday.  But then while sorting laundry (my ever present nemesis) in the basement, out of the corner of my eye I noticed the coffee table.  For the past few years, using a coffee table has been intermittent since I've had little ones learning to walk. Its been tucked away in the basement waiting for use again.  

Susie is 10 months old now and she's been walking already for the past 2 months. She is just about running most days now.  My little girl somehow missed the memo that she's my last baby and has the responsibility to slow time down for this mama heart of mine.  She has blazed a trail through babyhood that makes me proud and sad all at once.  Rolling over at 6 weeks, crawling at 3 months, standing at 5 months, and walking at 8 months. It just went so fast.  I look at Jackson and Nora and even at 4 and 3 yrs old...I still remember their moments of birth so vividly.  I thought I knew what love was when I married, but it wasn't until I became a parent that my heart truly understood exactly what sacrificial love was. I'd walk through fire for these children of mine.  Parenthood is loud and crazy and so very life giving. Its the greatest privilege of my life.  

Not only my heart grew when I became a mother,  but my relationship with the Lord deepened as well.  I realized anew the sacrifice God gave so freely through Jesus. And the grace we are given daily that we don't deserve.  I am in awe that not only did the Lord provide a means of salvation, but that he cares to provide peace in the uncertain, clarity in the confusion, and provision in the need.  While parenthood has been the greatest privilege of my life, my greatest gift has been walking with the Lord.  Life is messy. Its unexpected.  Its full of twists and turns. But the Lord is ever present and always consistent. As years have past, Josh and I have found ourselves in situations in which the Lord's guidance was vital and He has never failed us once.  There is immense comfort in knowing that come what may, the Lord is still good. 

All these thoughts ran through my mind as I looked at the coffee table sitting in the basement corner and I realized that today was the day to bring it out of the basement.  Susie is solid on her feet and the threat of injury from the coffee table is now gone.  Today, its time for the next step. Giving her an obstacle to manage and balance around.  She couldn't handle it before, but she can maneuver it now. The parallel is not lost on me that the same care I take for my children to prepare them and guide them for each step in their life, the Lord takes for His children as well.  And with that knowledge, peace and joy remain in every situation.  Not just present, but overflowingly.   

So today, I find myself thankful. Thankful for the word of the Lord that does not return void. Thankful the Lord prepares the way and guides the step. And thankful for the lessons learned from coffee tables...
“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’32These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33Seek the Kingdom of Godd above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."     Matthew 6:25-34

1 comment:

  1. Well written. It is amazing the things and situations that God uses to teach us great truths. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading more.
    -Nashunda "Sunni" Squier

    ReplyDelete